Posted by : Sherri Cornelius Wednesday, October 5, 2011

TM cover 2 flat
An OCD housewife falls in love with her son's toy ninja--but she does find it odd that the toy speaks French...

Or possibly just dipping a toe. I took one of my old, beloved stories and published it on Smashwords. For those who've never heard of it, Smashwords is a website that automates the self-epublishing process. You upload your story, and their machine converts your file into all the popular e-reading formats. Very easy.

I have lots of friends who’ve published with Smashwords, but I haven’t been interested in doing it. My writing career was up in the air, so far that I didn’t know where it would come down, or even if it would. I needed things to settle--in particular, my feelings about writing. I’ve been hiding from the world while I sort things out.

Then a lot of things happened all at once. I had a birthday (41). We ran out of money and had to eat beans and hamburger stew for a week, which put me in action mode real quick as I started looking for a job. Putting myself out there flipped the switch, and suddenly I’m ready to start blogging again, Facebooking with purpose, discussing writing and publishing.

Now as this switch was being flipped, my friend Allie had a pretty awesome experience. She’s been self-epublishing on Smashwords and Kindle, and I don’t know where else, and she’s much more prolific than I, so she has lots of titles available. One day, Amazon started offering one of her titles for free and downloads went through the roof--like, 10,000 in a couple of days. She didn’t get a penny for these downloads, but thousands of people were reading her work.

It was eye-opening for me, watching this unfold. I had thought of epublishing as another career direction, with all that entailed: marketing and money and business and blah, blah, blah. I knew I didn’t want to do all that stuff myself. Allie’s exhilarating experience reminded me that writing is also fun, with an element of chance. The wheel of fortune can’t turn if you’ve stuck a stick in the spokes. The past couple of weeks has unstuck the wheel.

So. The story’s not perfect, but I’ve been waiting for perfection to grace me and I can’t wait any longer. The story’s good; some have told me it’s funny and/or creepy. It’s also free, so you don’t have to have a Smashwords account to read it. If you do read it, I’d appreciate a short and honest review. I promise I’ll still love ya.

Cheers!

{ 4 comments... read them below or Comment }

  1. Oh Sherri, I'm so glad you decided to do this! It feels good to put your work out there, and for me, once I had one story out, I felt like I had to put out another and another. The practice soon becomes second nature.

    I read your story late last night, and thought it was fantastic. Dark, twisted, funny. You have a gift for that. I will make sure to put up a review today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate it, Allie! You're right, it does feel good. It felt scary right at first, then just weird, and now I'm fine. It does seem like it might be the catalyst for writing more stories. And btw, I'll take any advice or suggestions you have. The tip on the image resolution saved me a lot of time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best thing is that you haven't given up! That is happiness. AND I liked the story. Creepy with a sense of humor. Good job you. Keep on. I don't know when or if I could do the same. I'd love to hear more about how this pans out for you.

    The nice thing about being tall is that I can wave my pom-poms over everyone else's heads. "Yea Sherri!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a cheerleader before! I'll tell you what, Marta, you could do it. You already put your stuff on the internet from time to time, and that's what it's like. But I think you know I'd be the last person to say you "should" do it. All I'm saying is, it's not a big deal, and it's a pretty cool experience. :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

- Copyright © Sherri Cornelius -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -