Posted by : Sherri Cornelius Friday, April 16, 2010

You know how people dispensing publishing advice say to gives yourself a small but meaningful reward at big milestones? Well I never could think of anything worth planning for the day I was finally a published author. "They" say to have a special dinner, buy something meaningful to mark the occasion, take a trip. I always assumed I'd go out to dinner with the hubs sans kids, a pretty ordinary celebration for something that will change my life, but all I could think of to do, barring a million-dollar advance.

In the shower yesterday, it hit me.

Not me...yet!



A nose ring! I've always wanted one, but I never took the plunge. As I aged I got it in my head my time for frivolous body mutilation had passed. Not so! It hit me in the shower (as all good ideas do) that getting my nose pierced would be the perfect way to commemorate the publication of my first book.


Since my husband would have to look at it every day, I thought it polite to get his final approval. If he really didn't like the idea, I'd just get a fancy pair of earrings instead. Luckily he likes bad girls, so he jumped on board without compunction. The kids thought it was cool, too. Their teachers have weird piercings, for heaven sake.


So...yeah. When I get a book deal I'll announce it by posting a picture of myself and my new nose ring.


{ 16 comments... read them below or Comment }

  1. They need to make a nose ring that looks like a tiny diamond book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I thought you were going to say you'd dye your hair, but nose ring is even better. It will look cool in the fan photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love nose rings! I think they're sexy (as long as it's like the one you pictured and not the butt-ugly kind that goes through the septum). I like piercings below, uh, the neckline too, but you don't have to post pictures of those. Lol!

    I think with my first book deal, I may go buy the car I modeled The Puke after. It's been for sale forever; it can't be THAT expensive. Even if it's a piece of crap, I wouldn't mind so much. I miss having a hot rod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that would be the height of awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who's to say I won't dye my hair too? I've always wanted a purple streak. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should SO do that! Since you can be pretty sure you won't bust it up running from vampires, it should last ya. lol

    And no, I will not put the hole in my septum. Ouchie. I'm sure the nostril will hurt too, but at least it's just skin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go for it! I don't want piercings in odd places that show, lol. I might consider some that are (usually) hidden by clothes, but it's not really my lifestyle now that I live in rural Maine and am not trying to be a 30-something hipster in the Big City. ;) I did, however, get a tattoo years ago as a commemorative 'reward.'

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been a 30-something hipster in the big city, even when I lived in a city. lol Living in a rural area is one thing that has stopped me all these years, but I'm turning 40 this year, and by golly I can have a piercing if I want! Yanno?

    Can I ask what your tattoo is? I've also wanted one of those, but I may never get over the fear of having buyer's remorse long enough to go through with it. If I decide I don't like the nose ring I can always take it out and let it grow back together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure I won't opt for self mutilation, but I've heard everything from get a placard or something to get a tat. For me, the last thing I read is, be modest. The advance is taxable and you shouldn't do much more than a celebratory dinner or night in a hotel to mark it. I don't know what I'll do, but I bet it won't be in a hotel.

    Maybe I'll frame the dust jacket from the first one. How's that? And the flyleaf, with the publication dates and all. :)

    Or heck, maybe I'll put my earring back in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heh, I never pictured you as the nose ring type. I'd love to see the pics! Then you could change your blog to Sherri Sparkles. ;)

    I have no idea what I'd do if I was in that position. I don't think I know how to celebrate things, other than going out to a nice restaurant. That always seemed such the height of decadence. I know, I need to get out more! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a nose ring might be fun, though I would probably never have the bravery to get one.

    I noticed your comment on my blog, so I figured I would leave some more info. The singer with the long beard's name is Marco Hietala. He sings and plays bass for Tarot and also the band Nightwish. Here are the addresses of the band's websites:

    (Tarot)
    http://wingsofdarkness.net

    (Nightwish)
    http://nightwish.com

    Hope this is helpful, Marco is my favorite singer, and a very nice man also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well thanks Aurora! I do like their music. May end up putting them on my regular playlist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's funny, I guess I'm not the nose ring type. I don't want people looking at me, for one. I don't wear jewelry unless I'm going someplace fancy. I don't worry about my appearance at all, really. Maybe that's the appeal. I'm the most boring-looking person, but if I had bling on my face I wouldn't feel so boring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I'll frame the stuff, no doubt. I might even create a shrine. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. You may also want to consider a temporary tattoo. It is like henna hair color. You may get hooked, maybe not. Either event, you undergo minor change to your body.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have any tats, Berna? That's a good idea to get a temporary one first to try it out. I'm pretty sure a tattoo wouldn't be for me, though. And I have just as much reason for not liking tattoos as I do for liking nose rings. None. :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

- Copyright © Sherri Cornelius -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -