Posted by : Sherri Cornelius Friday, March 25, 2011

O

Okay, so I've been (almost) completely Facebook-free for two days now. I did sneak back to see if anyone commented on my post that I was leaving. No one did. Not that I care, you know, I was just wondering. I don't care that nobody cares.*

Anyhoo, there was a suggestion that I might be suffering from withdrawals. I don't miss it, per se, but I am having to get used to it.

The best way I can explain it is like everytime FB refreshes there's a click in your brain. So about every 30 seconds your brain expects new information. The first day I stayed away, those clicks came every 30 seconds, just like I was still staring at my news feed, waiting for someone to entertain me. Now the clicks are slowing down.

While I was way better informed on FB, I didn't have the space to process all the information. Maybe it's a middle-age thing, or a pre-Internet brain thing, or just a Sherri thing, but I'm finding I work best with chunks of input, rather than a stream.

I'm pretty sure that while there are some people who work well this way, most are like me. It's not the ideal way to operate, and yet we flock in droves to crowd our brains with information, the way we cram Twinkies into our mouths despite knowing we're contributing to the obesity epidemic. I see a divide in our future, a movement to withdraw from social media at the same time others are wet-wiring their brains to broadcast their thoughts to Twitter. Might this be the next great social conflict? Something to think about.

 

*While my forebrain asserts that no one would comment on a post that I'm not likely to see, my amygdala is telling me nobody loves me.

{ 6 comments... read them below or Comment }

  1. Ah, your amygdala's off it's bean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deep breaths. We all survived and had connections before Facebook, and we will thrive after facebook (for yes, there will be a post-FB, you know there will).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't miss it anymore. :) The problem with any of these things is you never know which will be the next obsession until it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I quit smoking, you can quit FB, just like any other bad habit! ;)

    Lord in Heaven, no wired thoughts to Twitter! Who could keep up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you still going to blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I plan to. I was thinking I'd blog more often without Facebook, but I don't know now. It probably still won't be regular, the way I'm feeling.

    Fal, if they wired me up to Twitter I'd probably go catatonic.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

- Copyright © Sherri Cornelius -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -