Posted by : Sherri Cornelius Thursday, June 2, 2011
Three years ago I made a list of things I wanted, things I felt would make me a more fulfilled, whole person. I’m amazed at the number of things on this list that I actually did receive.
- Brand-new car—My Saturn’s not brand new, but a perfectly wonderful substitute
- Brand-new house—I no longer feel desperate for this like I used to.
- Happy relationship—we’ve always had a rocky relationship, and I’m not seeing that change anytime soon.
- Nicer clothes—Somewhat, because I’m working at it
- off foodstamps—it was scary, but we are now government assistance-free
- good health—The health problems I had then are still with me, but I’m learning to manage them. Also, I’m working on solutions now.
- book published—grumble grumble
- BVA finished—Done!
- new recliner—Got one for my husband, and a futon for me.
- home repairs--That’s happening next week.
- bicycle—Got this before I had a car to take Maggie Rose to school
tighter skin—probably wishful thinking, at my age. :)
- new laptop, lightweight, fast, pretty. Plenty of memory, comfy keyboard. Strong but light. GREAT BATTERY! –Got this one for Christmas last year
- cell phone—It’s been a life saver
- I want to feel free to be myself.—Might never stop working on this one, but I feel more myself than ever
- iPod—We have 3! Hand-me-downs from my mom, but perfectly usable.
That’s 12 out of 16! And while at the beginning, three years seems like forever, it’s really not long in the scheme of things. So maybe I need to make another list. It’ll be a lot shorter now that I’ve received so many of the things I needed. And you know what? There’s still time to receive the other things on my list.
Those things did enrich my life. They helped me feel more independent, more relevant, more connected—and most importantly they brought joy to me when I needed it.
Have you received anything you’ve asked for lately?