Posted by : Sherri Cornelius Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I watched Avatar for the first time (the blue people one, not the last airbender one) with the family. Normally I don't let the kids watch PG-13, but this was a special occasion. My son in particular has been bugging me to get it from Netflix--in fact, he watched it again this morning, and will probably watch it again before it's gone--but I think we all ended up loving it just as much as he did. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was actually a good movie. I'd expected it to be a cookie-cutter special-effects blockbuster with a superficial "save the planet" message. What I found out, though, was a great story supported by heartfelt, emotional performances--with the added bonus of the OMG OUT OF THIS WORLD FANTASTIC special effects. Did I say OMG?

The Na'vi were so realistic that it gave me the hope that my work-no-longer-in-progress could someday be made into a believable movie. The last thing I'd want for a movie made out of my book is a bunch of people running around in lizard suits. Is that so much to ask?

{ 5 comments... read them below or Comment }

  1. Ah, Pocahontas in Space! I've not seen it, but that's what I heard about it.

    It is like Pocahontas, only they're not in space. :)

    Want interesting facts about CGI characters like the Na'vi?

    If the artists render the characters TOO realistically, there's a REVULSION which comes out in people. That's right, if the Na'vi were as perfectly drawn as they COULD be, the figures would elicit a revulsion response from viewers instead of the embracing they received.

    Cameron spent a chunk of his budget on finding that out, experimenting to determine where that fine line fell, so he'd have a movie with enough realism to get the story told and without that revulsion response from the audience.

    How cool's that, eh? :D

    Definitely cool.


    I did a movie review today too. We're back to being on the same blog page! :) Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, and the dark of this theme doesn't really seem to fit you. Just FYI. It's clean and sharp, but not so "you", if that makes sense.
    Well, shooty poop, I just realized it doesn't have nested comments. That might kill it for me.

    I lightened the post area because it started out as dark as the background. Instant eye pain! This theme meshes my enthusiasm with BVA's darkness, I think. I have to start thinking about that now that the book's going to editors. Did I already say it's done? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really need to see Dances with Smurfs

    I stopped watching South Park. That is what you're talking about, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, South Park. It was very funny.

    Well if you say it's worth watching, I guess I better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think CGI has made amazing advancements in the last few years - I have no doubt that Drina could be captured beatifully. :)

    I like the sky on this one, but it is a bit dark to me for you. I just mean, when I think of you, I don't think dark. :)

    I know, I'm a ray of sunshine. :) Did you notice the picture changes depending on the time of day?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

- Copyright © Sherri Cornelius -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -