I'm thinking about starting a new blog. No, not in place of this one...in addition to it. You probably want to know what it's about, seeing as how I've run out of things to say on this one. I mean, my hits have tanked, people. My blog used to be a hub of interesting discussion and information. A hub, I tells ya!
I don't want to tell you, but I've already started, so... I want to start a spiritual writing advice blog. I see so much concrete advice for the nuts and bolts of writing, but hardly any for the writer like me who stumbles around in the dark. I believe in writing from one's spirit, because that seems to be the only way I can do it. I can't force things, because then I get all stopped up, in writing and in spirit, and I think a lot of other people are that way and don't know it. Strange how there's so much noise in such a solitary activity.
So the first question is, do I have the qualifications to write an advice blog? Probably not. But I'll show you what I have.
- I've written almost two books
- and about twenty short stories, none of which have been published, although a couple were well-received in contests.
- A decade ago I wrote a popular newspaper column for a year, which was basically exactly like what I do on this blog
- I have an agent and am actively seeking publication
- I was an editor for a few months last year
- I think I'm good at reading people and a good advisor, and the baring of my soul on this blog seems to get a better response than any other topic
- I've done a TON of work on my own self in this area
So see, the list is long, but none of the items is that impressive. It's not like I'm an industry professional, or a spiritual advisor, or anything solid. So why do I need to start another blog? Why can't I just write posts like that here? Well, because this blog is me, online. It's centered around me and what I think and what I do, and while you're all a necessary part of my happiness, it's still like you're coming to my house, you know? I'd like the new blog to be about the reader, and it can't be on this blog which is named after me. I thought about calling it The Writing Guru, but that's already a popular phrase in Google. Two other choices are Your Writer's Soul and Spirit of the Pen, both of which are not being used. Or maybe You Are the Muse.
Topics? Well, I'd have writing book reviews, guest columns, reader questions, maybe a week-long feature where I delve into the writing psyche of a willing victim participant, and my own journey.
It's probably stupid. It's probably been done before, and I probably don't have the follow-through. But that's what I'm thinking about this morning.